Fashion Steps Out Backstage

May 6, 2013

For those who are not Singaporeans, you might not have heard of Fashion Steps Out, it's the fashion show with the longest runway in Singapore - easily 600m I believe, with 170 models from different countries. Orchard road was blocked from any vehicles so the whole stretch of road could be used for the show, imagine that!

I wasn't a backstage photographer, it just happened that my friend knows someone who was working backstage and they needed dressers urgently for the models so of course I said yes! Dressers, you get to help the models to dress and experience the hectic moments before they step out being glamorous! Well that was what I thought, but it was so much more than that. Show was gonna start at 8.30pm but we all had to gather at 10am to prepare, get the clothes from different brands, tape all the bottoms of the shoes to protect them, make sure all the clothes/shoes/bags are there, steam the clothes, make sure your models are all present, etc...

I brought my camera along because I was sure I couldn't resist it. 170 models! Isn't that a heaven for a photographer?! So whenever I had free time, I took out my camera to take some photos, and hoped that other workers wouldn't scold me for doing so. However I only brought a lens so it was a little limited.




my fav pic of all! :)

My friend and I were assigned to be the dressers of Coach, there were 6 female models and 9 male models. I know it founds a little funny but I felt like a mom! They would come and ask if they could go to the toilets or smoke, sometimes I had to be squeezed between all the models to look for them and ask them to be in place (some are really playful, walking here and there like kids!), make sure they looked good... before they went out I got so excited and nervous, and when I saw people's photos of them in instagram I felt so proud. Doesn't it make me sound like a mom?!

I honestly felt really lucky to be working backstage, enjoyed it so much, I managed to see a different side of the models, a more fun and playful side of them, see them taking selfca with other models, you suddenly realise these gorgeous people you see from the magazines are humans too, not very much different from you and I. (except that they are so much taller and prettier and slimmer hehe)



11 Love notes:

  1. wow!!! you must have had such an amazing experience...!! I envy you..!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,really love your blog and photos so much.Awesomeeeeee:)
    May i know you using what camera?lens?
    How to edit the pic color with photoshop?
    Have a nice day!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweetie! thank you so much! :))
      i'm currently using nikon d600 (just bought it lately, before this i had been using d90 for 2 years!)
      lens... i have a few, but my favourite is definitely 85mm f1.8, these photos are all shot by it!

      photoshop vise... there are really many ways to edit, and i always do different treatments to each set of photos according to the mood i want! hehe but mainly i will play around with the 'curves' :)

      Delete
  3. Hello:))
    Your picture is edit by what actions in photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi!
      no i dont use any actions in photoshop, i experiment around until i get the tone and colors i want each time i have a new set of photos! :)

      Delete
  4. Hihi! I think you got some really nice shots considering all your other responsibilities as a dresser (i.e, being a mamasan). Sounds like a really fantastic experience :D

    Thank for the really sweet and encouraging comment you left on my blog by the way. I can't deny how lucky I've been, but I think that you're very talented yourself! Give yourself a couple of years and I'm sure great things will happen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Lenne, it's very kind of you to say that!
      cant wait to hear more about your stories and adventures! x

      Delete
  5. Hey I just thought you should know that you have a very unique way of arranging the pictures, it gives great effects to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, i really really appreciate what you said!
      because for many of my posts, i spend time arranging the photos, and i always 'preview' to see how it flows, then i will go back and rearrange the photos until i find it looks just right! thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi there, I stumbled upon your blog and I have to say I love all your photos!!! It is like bringing photography to the next level! Not every blogger has such a high quality photos on the blog as you do. Nice one!!!

    xoxo
    www.hervoguediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

© icollectmoments All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk