South Africa for December 2012

September 29, 2012

finally a photo of me on my blog. taken by Sam, in her parka.
Yes, as stated on the title, I am going to travel to South Africa this December for about a month! In case you're wondering, this is not a family trip, I'm not going with any of my family members, it's the same programme as the one to New Zealand two years back - a youth exchange programme.

Many people are surprised when they hear that it's a youth exchange programme. I always get lots of questions related to the programme when I mention it. So here is it, it's an international youth exchange programme under a service organisation called Lions Club. Malaysians should be familiar with it because we have Leo Club in most of the schools. (Leo Club is only for youth while Lions Club are for the adults) Sadly they don't have Lions Club in Singapore, or do they? I have never heard anyone who came Singapore for the exchange programme. It just so happened that both my parents are very active Lions Club members, so 2 years ago my mom encouraged me to take part in this programme since I would be having a half-year holidays after my SPM. I did and I loved it.

I think some people might be interested to know more about the programme, so here you go:
  1. It's only for youths from 16-22 years old. That's why I'm planning to take part again before I reach 22, because after that I wouldn't be able to join anymore! Italy would most probably be my next choice :)
  2. You'll be having a test and interview, you need to be selected to be able to take part. But it's not very hard to get in, especially if any of your parents is Lions Club member, they do prioritise Lions Club members' family, unless you choose countries other than Japan, Japan is the most famous choice among the Malaysians and they have limited slots, so it's harder to get in.
  3. You'll be staying with a few host families when you're in the selected country. The families are usually Lions Club members, they have to apply to host an exchangee too, so no worries it's not some random families that would be hosting you! 
  4. The host families would be taking care of you, bringing you out, cooking for you, etc. Basically you just do whatever they do and follow them wherever they go. Most of the time they're very nice people, they'll always take time to plan before the exchangees reach and bring them to some famous attractions nearby.
  5. All you need to pay if the flight tickets, insurance and medical fee. But of course you might need to pay for some tickets or entrance fees when you're in the other countries, you can't expect them to pay everything for you! But I was extremely lucky that my host parents back in New Zealand were nice enough to pay most the things for me, buy me christmas presents and treat me like one of their daughters. I miss them so much. 
  6. The price varies depending on which country you choose. The cheapest one from Malaysia is Japan, it costs RM2k-3k if I'm not mistaken. New Zealand is more expensive - around RM7k, while for South Africa, it'll be around RM8k if I'm not mistaken. It may sound expensive, but remember that you'll be there for a month! You learn and see things you can never get from books, it's totally worth it to me.
  7. Other countries that are famous among the Malaysians include Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, France, Belgium, Finland...
  8. More informations of the programme, here's the official page of it.

So many people might be curious - Why South Africa?

cannot find the source, please let me know if you know whose image is this.

It's interesting how people react when they know I'm going to South Africa this December. Some might turn "Really? Kahying? South Africa?" To people who don't know much about the country, you might be surprised to hear that some cities in South Africa are as developed as Kuala Lumpur.

While the activities and weather might not look so appealing to some of us, I insist on visiting the country at least once in my life. I believe there are some trips that would really open your eyes and change the way you see your country, and I believe this would be one of them. And so there are lessons that you can't get out of a book at the other end of the flight. Enough gorgeous views and only gorgeous views of nature, it's time to see something different, eat different food and experience different cultures. Plus, I like animals, wild animals. My sister and I often wished we were like Tarzan, staying in a jungle with all the animals that somehow won't harm us (which is not possible...)

Anyway, I haven't got the full details of the trip yet. What I know is I'll be traveling from Johannesburg (largest city in South Africa) to one of the east coast town (Port Elizabeth or Durban) and then to Cape Town! Honestly, I can't wait for it already. I'll make sure I take lots of photos and share with all of you about the trip!

Didn't expect this post so be so words-heavy. Not sure if anyone would actually finish reading it, but if you do, thank you! :)

11 Love notes:

  1. Owh well.
    So, it's another trip eh.
    I'm so envy >.<
    Anyway, I think I should really consider joining all these exchange program or work travelling.

    Though it's a bit early to say this, still wanna wish you good luck and have fun.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you read the status i posted few days back -
      "I'll be spending this sem break, christmas, the last day of 2012 and the first day of 2013 in south africa! while i cant wait to get my mind blown and see different things at the other end of that flight, i wish i could bring my family along. you know the feeling when you see something so beautiful and breathtaking that you want to hug someone and scream/cry, but the people you love aren't there? oh mixed feelingssss."
      sometimes i think these trips would be a lot more fun if you guys are there too.
      but well, different experience...

      have you heard of work and travel USA?
      you'll be working there for a month (or two months i cant rmb), then the other month(s) will be spent traveling around USA by using the money you earn there! the organisation would arrange the job and stuff for you! 2-3 months in total if im not mistaken. that way you dont need to use so much money of your parents :) but well it's 2-3 months, so it depends if you have the luxury of time to do so or not :/

      i hope one day you'll be able to take part in any of these activities too. you'll learn and see so much things you cant get in text books.
      havent seen you in way TOO long, hope you're doing good too! :)

      Delete
  2. WOW! the photo took by SAM was so beautiful!!
    u have displayed so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! :)
      Also thanks for promoting my blog on your blog, again!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I really can't wait to read your experiences thr! I hope in future I'll get a chance to travel too. Live dream, hahaha.

    And I love that parka! I'm thinking of buying one. Where did she get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard she said it's from whiteclothes.co!
      you can try to look for it but im not sure if they're still selling it cuz she bought it some time ago! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, haha, they don't have it anymore. But thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Remember to take tones of photos!(I know you will). BTW have a safe trip and hopefully it will be a better trip compare to New Zealand! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course I WILL!!!
      hmm cannot compare like that!! haha.
      though it's still too early to wish me have a safe trip but thankiuuuuu :D

      Delete
  5. Hello Kah Ying. I am a new reader here and I have got to say I love all your shots! Your photos are beautiful. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yii foong!
      thanks for the compliments!
      I'm currently using an approximately 2-year-old nikon d90 :)

      Delete

 

© icollectmoments All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk